Sunday, June 1, 2014

Aitutaki Lagoon. Bluest Water on the planet.

OK. These are some of the pictures that I've been saving back. These are from the lagoon cruise we took out of Aitutaki. We hopped on a little boat with a few other people and went to go snorkeling around the reefs, had lunch on a small island, made a few other stops on some islands and sandbars, and called it a great day.

These are the actual colors. I don't even know how to photoshop if I wanted to!

The slightly deeper parts were this vivid blue color. But look how bright the water gets right before the horizon!

We did quite a bit of snorkeling this day. There was a shipwreck to look at, a bunch of bright fish, more blue starfish, and there were some very large fish at one stop. They gave us bread to feed the fish and you could get a whole school of little bright fish to follow you and swim all over you. It was awesome. The scarier part was that the giant fish also liked the bread, so you had to keep it held close to your body or they would lunge at your fist full of bread. and they were scary big.

And one of the coolest things was the giant clams in the lagoon! They can get huge! I swam down to one and it closed half-way, and you could feel the surge of water pouring out of it. And the shells are HEAVY. We found an old empty shell that was probably only about 1/3 the size of the biggest ones, and it was still a lot to hold in my arms. Unfortunately I don't have the copies of the snorkeling pictures or any of Mom or Tera's pictures yet, so you'll just have to use your imagination for those..

More proof of my lack of photoshop skills. taking pictures with a flat horizon is not easy when you're on a rocking boat! But the picture still shows what I wanted to show you - a beautiful place.
and Whoa, does anyone else see a face in the cloud in the middle at the top??? I just saw that!!!

We saw a sea turtle somewhere in the lagoon too.

First Island stop of the day: Honeymoon Island. This was one of the coolest places ever. The water was only about 4 inches deep for a LONG way

If I ever get stranded on a deserted island, I want it to be this one.

Who's with me?

Taking a walk in paradise.

One of my favorite pictures of the day.

Can we just go back right now?

This is the far end of the long sand bar. Just a little cluster of trees. See? perfect spot to put my tiki hut when I get 'stranded' here.

And just across the way is another little island. So if my family and closest friends also get 'stranded', there's room for everyone. We actually ate lunch on the island in this picture. 

My Island.

Tera living it up on the islands.

These little guys were on the island where we ate our lunch.

the lunch island. I can't remember the name of it.

Looking back at my favorite island.

Her penmanship is impressive.

Not a bad way to spend a day.

Oh! I forgot to mention that the lagoon has no sharks!  So this really is probably the most perfect place ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment