Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Sewing with Becky

One of the things I've been looking forward to about having some extra time on my hands, is getting back into sewing.  My grandma taught me to quilt and crochet when I was young, but many years of schoolwork have made it hard to find time for it lately.  Cole's landlady was kind enough to lend me a sewing machine, so I've been making up for lost time.

I decided to start easy with some couch pillows, though putting in my first zipper proved to be a little trickier than expected.


My next project was a table runner for our big Thanksgiving feast, complete with New Zealand inspired fabrics.




Then Cole got me some Christmas fabric for my birthday, so I had to dress up the house a little bit with stockings and a wreath, especially since we were looking for extra Christmas spirit this year.





One of our bedrooms had a transparent curtain that looked out on the entry way to our back door.  I decided our guests might appreciate a bit more privacy, so I made a new curtain.



I've started a quilt that I'm really excited about and will probably take the rest of my time here to complete.  When we were driving all over the south island for our Christmas trip, I made Aaron stop at all of the fabric stores to fill in my gaps.  He was great about it, but I probably owe him some trips to an electronics store in return =)



Also, in the interest of full disclosure, Cole was worried about being bored this winter since we won't be able to keep exploring outdoors, so I taught him the basics of crochet one evening.  He's a natural, so everyone expect lots of warm hats and socks in July (our winter)!

No comments:

Post a Comment